Saturday, August 18, 2007

Whew! Busy Saturday!!

Its only 4:30 and I'm WIPED!! The day started out pretty good, we slept in til around 9am... fed the dogs, all the usual stuff.

Then by 11:00 - 11:30, we were ready to venture out into the world... we went over to Carp to McNeely's, where we bought our weed whacker and talked about chainsaws with the guy. Ended up buying one, of course! Its a Husqvarna, not a huge one, but should do what we need it to do. Its got a 16 inch bar and is 37 cc, I *think*... if that means anything to anyone!?

We also managed to find Shawn a hardhat that also has a face shield and ear protection for weed whacking and chainsawing... it ACTUALLY fits his head, if you can believe it!

Then after that, we headed down towards the town of Munster to a place that does corn mazes and stuff. But its not just small lame corn mazes, its permanent hedge mazes and stuff too! Its actually really neat. We also had a wagon ride, which was nice .... a chance to sit real still for a while :) We didn't even get all the mazes done... we did a really big one called something like the Mile Maze... it seemed like a gazillion miles long... but that happens if you take wrong turns :) This place also does the whole Halloween attraction thing... so we're planning to go back for that. From what we saw today, it should be a decent thing to see!

Before we actually went to the maze place, we were hungry, so we looked on the GPS for somewhere to eat. There was some Country House restaurant in Munster (according to the gps) so we thought we'd go there, it was right on our way. Well, when we "arriving at destination on right" all we saw was a skanky looking bar and grill. So we again looked at the gps and headed into Richmond to have different food options.

The place we ended up going to really looked like someone's house from the outside. I actually drove through the parking lot at first and left out the other side, because I thought it couldn't really be a restaurant. Then as we were driving out, we saw some ppl leaving, so we came back around and parked and went in. Inside it was more restaurantish, but definitely a *funny* place... we had a lovely meal though (not as tasty at the Eating Place) and it was reasonably priced.

Now we're back at home, tired!! Shawn is poring over the chainsaw safety manuals and I'm waiting to go do a bit of work outside with the chainsaw. Nothing too strenuous though... at least that's the plan :)

Its a very cool day... sunny... but breezy... I wore my jacket for most of the day and was just about right. A big change from needing the AC last weekend!! I even have many windows shut as it just gets too cold in here with them all open. Just a couple open a tiny bit for fresh air.

Dunno what we're doing for dinner tonight, but I already told everyone I'm not cooking... after walking all around mazes all afternoon, the last thing I want to do is go to the store and get something for dinner and cook and clean up! No way!!

** Back track to last night**

We went to the Eating Place for dinner... twas very yummy. Before we went in, we saw a sign on the sidewalk for a sale on Halloween stuff. Of course we went in and we managed to get some plastic and styrofoam grave markers for 50% off! Very exciting :)

2 comments:

TRAFN8R said...

I love these long rambling messages and stories that you put on here! Now I know you are getting right in to your comfort zone, with Hallowe'en stuff, Corn Mazes, and etcetera!!
You guys be careful with that dang chainsaw!! They scare the bejesus out of me!! You can get safety pants (protect your legs more than your privates:)
How is the clearing coming??? Are your outbuildings safe from the dreaded "FRIKKEN SNAKE"???????????
My folks were here for the past few days, so no riding. However, we fixed a few fence boards, and cleared the weeds in fornt of the barn. I would like to bring in a load of topsoil to put along there, with a few perrenials.. blah, blah, blah.

THinking about you Lisa and Jess, hoping that the drive to UNI and subsequent departure isn't too hard on anyone. Lisa, Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to Country and Western music on the drive home!!!!!
Jayne

Anonymous said...

Jayne,
You know long and rambling is my specialty!

And don't worry about chainsaw safety, Shawn is like a little old lady operating a chainsaw!! Safety pants probably are a good idea, maybe we'll go back to the dealer and see if they have some that would fit him. I don't really plan on using it myself, its not really MY thing... I LIKE my handsaw :)

The clearing is coming along... slowly... its tiring!! I wont declare the outbuildings a snake free zone just yet... I haven't gone back inside the one with the snake since. Shawn still has some more grass clearing to do around it.

Sounds like you put your parents to work while they visited, good job! :)

I think adding some topsoil and plants in front of the barn would look great! There are no gardens here... just a small clump of peonies and day lilies in the middle of the front lawn, you can hardly see them. That sort of landscaping is a while away, though I hope to find a place to plant a few bulbs this fall so there's a tiny bit of colour in the spring!

I'm sure Jess and I will both survive next weekend... I'm sure she'll do WAY better than I will, but that's ok. As for not listening to C&W on the way home, I dunno, if I don't listen to that, what would I listen to?? But I agree it might not be the best choice if I'm looking for a "dry" ride home!