Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The House Sure Is Big and Empty

So today is my first day at home alone. So far, so good... but it DOES feel big and empty, in spite of all the unpacked boxes, etc.

I posted some new pics this morning to the Four Horse Haven album (link to the left) "Goodbye Dead Tree", "Stone Dust" and "Living Room Shake Up" are all new.

The tree removal guys came yesterday and got rid of our dead tree that seemed to be threatening to fall on our house since we moved in. They did a great job and I'd be happy to hire them again anytime. They did a good job of trimming up the branches that we on the roof of the house as well. I thought they did a great job of clean up... there was not much evidence of them being there, other than the tree being gone and a stump... a little bit of sawdust, but not much, as they'd raked up as much as they could before they left. They took all the wood from the tree, like we wanted... they worked really hard. I'm so glad that job is done.

Shawn has more pics of the tree removal on his camera... I'll have to remind him to post them later as well. I took many of mine out the kitchen window, so the screen is kinda in the way.. but it was a good view from there. Shawn took a bunch outside, so his will be nicer.

While they were removing the tree, Shawn and I were doing stuff inside... mostly moving stuff around the living room again. Its been an ongoing issue with how to best setup the living room. Its a long narrow room and we have a long couch. We've pretty much given up on making the projector and giant screen work here... the dimensions just aren't quite right. This is the 3rd wall I've had the couch on since we moved in... and really the last place we can try it... it cant sit with the back against the staircase as the wall there isn't quite long enough and has a cold air return on the floor.. .and it would block the door way into the vestibule on your way to the kitchen and mudroom.

With this orientation, we can at least have end tables again, which we like... place to put a laptop... or drink... or plate of food... the couch is a lot less usable without end tables... at least for us.

I think we're gonna set up our old tv at some point and see how that works... we've been just watching dvds on the mac book since we got here. We like that convenience.. we can watch on the couch... in the mudroom... on the bed.

We also discussed getting cable service... and right now, we're leaning towards not bothering. It was different when Jess was here... she liked to watch tv... but other than a few shows, we hardly watch tv at all... we prefer to watch stuff on dvd. So if I can just get through one season without watching the shows I like, then we can catch up on them next season when they come out on dvd.

Not getting some sort of cable service saves about $50 - $100 a month, depending on what type of service and how many channels you want... not huge money.. but enough money for something you dont use much. I dunno that i an justify it for 3 hours of entertainment per week. If you work it out, it costs me $4 - $8 per hour that I watch it. That seems really pricey to me. So we'll see how it goes... it could all change yet, I suppose.

I have a bunch of things I should be doing this morning... I need to run to the JD dealer and pick up some stuff to do maintenance on the mower... needs the oil changed, etc. Nevermind the unpacking I should do and the stuff still at the storage unit... ugh.

My neck / shoulder / collar bone are all messed up... and have been for a couple days... since I got home... I'm sure its not stress related *eye roll* or anything :) I even took some muscle relaxers last night, but I don't think they helped enough. Shawn's been working on it for me too... I imagine in a day or so it'll improve a bit. I reached for the squeezy bottle of honey this morning to make Shawn's honey on croissant sandwich that he loves and I almost dropped it. I could lift my arm up to the first shelf to get it, but then i had no strength to hold it... scared me a bit... I was afraid if I dropped it there would be a big sticky honey mess everywhere.

I'm sitting in the livingroom on the couch and the window is open.. and I can smell something yummy on the breeze... not sure where its coming from... but it smells like waffles or vanilla cake mix or something yummy! The dogs also smell it and are both standing there inhaling like maniacs! Maybe we should drive up and down the road and invite ourselves in to help eat whatever it is!!

Ok off to get something done!!

No comments: