Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Super Weekend!

Saturday, around noon, my parents and Kyle arrived at our house for the weekend! This time it was for a long weekend.... my dad took Monday off work so they stayed until Monday just before noon! Thanks Dad for taking the day off!! :)

It was so nice to see them again... that's definitely the worst part of moving out here, is not seeing them a couple times a week! It's been a big adjustment... for all of us! We ate lots, talked lots, laughed lots, just like always :) Thanks for bringing all the yummy treats Mom!! (Herrle's corn, beef tenderloins, homemade peach pies, homemade pound cake (which I finally tried last night and it was YUM!!) an upside down rhubarb dessert, loads of containers of homemade cookies!! Probably other things I just can't recall this morning!!)

They also brought many cases of Dasani bottled water that Mom got on sale... I think there were like 19 cases of 24 bottles!! My house is slightly tilted from the extra weight :)

Mom and Dad stayed in Kyle's / Guest room which now also makes it Kyle's/Mom and Dad's/ Guest room... I think I may have to shorten it to *gasp* just Guest room! They said the new bed was comfy enough and the room was ok. It worked out fine having 6 people in the house. I was surprised the house didn't feel more crowded, but it seemed like there was enough room for everyone.. It confuses me, because in our last house, having that many people in it felt more crowded than here. And spec wise, the houses are similar, 3 bed, 2 bath, both have a similar sized living room... the old house had the rec room downstairs... this house has the large mud room (that we use as a dining room currently). Maybe its the large mudroom...we spent a fair bit of time in there and its a BIG room.

One night we played 3 games of Scrabble... Jess and Kyle played a Scrabble team and won a game... I can't remember how the other 2 turned out!!! Too long ago now :)

The other night we played Cranium, which made Jessica very happy... she loves the game and we never get to play on teams (as the game is intended to be played), as we never have enough bodies. Somehow, Shawn and I managed to win Cranium, in spite of all our problems with the green cards!! It was a very close game and we just got lucky I think :)

The weather was not near as cool as they had forecasted, so I had the AC on all weekend and the 2 big commercial fans going. It was tolerable. Monday morning when we got up it was much cooler and the humidity went away and there was a a good stiff breeze, so I shut it off and opened the windows, which was a relief!

Yesterday was very windy all day.... so windy that in the late afternoon I was fixing a snack and we were going to eat it outside.... but then I thought maybe it was too windy and our food would blow away, so we ate in the mudroom where it was breezy.

Monday morning before they all had to go home, we had breakfast at Cora's in Kanata. They make all sorts of crepes, as well as more "normal" breakfast foods. We were there once before and it takes a long time from the time you order until the time you get your food, but the food IS very good and worth the wait!

Mom, Dad and Kyle left from there and headed back... we left from there and went home where I suddenly realized I was tired! So Shawn and I laid down and had a nap (he took Monday off work to hang out with our guests) Jess watched DVDs on her computer. I slept for a couple hours, then when we got up, Shawn went out to start clearing more of the long grass. I didn't get the big mower out to go over what he cut down (yet). With it being so windy, I was afraid it would all just blow all over me and in my eyes... maybe I'll do that later today when it dries up from the dew.

While my parents were here, we cut down a few branches off the trees at the front that were in my way for mowing. My dad worked like a man possessed! :) We eventually had to hide the saw so all our trees wouldn't just be sticks in the ground ;) haha just kidding!! We dragged all the branches back to the back of the property where people in days gone by had put similar things. It'll be nice to mow there now, I won't have to scrape up my back trying to duck under! Yay :)

It was really cool last night here, went down to about 13 C. I left the windows open, some I only left open a couple inches and the house cooled down really well... it was 63 F when I got up this morning! :) Looking at the forecast, it looks like it will be cooler for the next while... not much over about 25 C, which suits me GREAT! For ME, THAT's summer :)

Jess and I will be heading back to Kitchener and Toronto in just under 2 weeks... we'll stay with my parents for a night, maybe two... and Kyle and I will go get Jess set up in residence. I have mixed feelings about that trip... on one hand, it'll be nice to go back to Kitchener, I lived there all my life!! It'll be nice to see my parents without them having to make the big journey. But its also a little sad... I'll be coming home alone... leaving my girl behind.

I know its way time for her to go, do her thing and shine in her new environment... time for her to start living HER life and all that jazz... but she will be missed... big time! Its funny, when she applied for university last Christmas, it didn't seem all that real. At that point, we were just living our lives... we didn't know the big changes that were just around the corner.

At the time she applied, I expected to be still living in Kitchener while she went to school... I'd only be an hour away, which meant I'd be able to visit regularly (maybe TOO regularly?!) and still be able to "look after" her, if she needed. Then just a few weeks later, BAM! It was all different! Then a couple months later, it was truly all different.

I think it'll be ok, in spite of all the changes. Kyle is planning to visit her whenever he can... my parents are only an hour away from her and would certainly drive the hour if she needed anything, I know. Its just me being a control freak... feeling outta control... no surprise there :)

And I know logically she'll do just fine without me... she's a smart girl with a very strong sense of self preservation and compulsion to follow the rules to the letter that I know she'll be fine... I expect she'll really blossom in this environment and I hope she has a great deal of fun while she's there. After all, she dang well better get my money's worth ;)

It's almost impossible for me to talk about it without bawling... even really hard to just think about... or type!! I said to Shawn and Jess yesterday that it was no wonder Nam and Pop had to bring us so many cases of water... this move to Ottawa just might dehydrate us all with all the bawling!!!

Somehow, I got way off track... as usual.... Thanks Mom, Dad and Kyle for a great weekend!! Come back anytime :)

2 comments:

K¥£€ said...

Hey Lisa,

Wow, what an awesome trip! It was so nice to see everyone, especially the little princess we like to call Jessica :). I understand where you are coming from when you mentioned how it didn't seem "real" until recently, and I can totally relate to that. Back when she applied, it just didnt seem like it was such a big deal, and I guess it never really set in untill may or June when I realized my daily time with her was drawing to a limited few. Thats why im so grateful that I could spend so much time with her this summer, it certainly has been very much appreciated, and I am in debt to all your guys wonderful hospitality throughout my visit(s)

Only a few more weeks until Jess goes to university ( for real). Its somewhat mind boggling, but after maybe a month or so of her being there, Im sure it will get slightly easier. I know its going to be tough being away from her, but whenever possible, I dont see why her and I couldn't hop on a train and come and see you guys up in metropolitan Dunrobin :)

Enjoy the last few weeks that she is home. You raised one amazing girl, and this whole thing is just a new chapter in her life.

Take Care,

Kyle

TRAFN8R said...

Well, it sounds like you had one heck of a good weekend!! Good food, good company, lots of things accomplished, laughter... no snakes!!

As to the university and nest leaving thing. It's a tough go for everyone I think. Bawling is not optional.
However, just know that in about a year this will all be old hat and something completely different will be happening in your lives.
Still, my heart goes out to you Mum!!
Jayne