Friday, August 10, 2007

A small update from me...

Life's going pretty good here in Eastern Ontario(tm).

Work's going well -- I'm learning fast (and there's a LOT to learn). I'm enjoying being in a little bit more structured environment, I'm enjoying learning how team development works. It's a fun environment -- they're learning how to manage a software project also, and so it's a very interesting environment to learn about this stuff in.

I've started eating way more at work every day, and it seems to be working: i.e. - I'm not crashing so hard at the end of the day. Before, before I ate supper, I could barely function. Now, with all the extra food, I've leveled out a bit, which is a Good Thing.

I'm still enjoying playing with the fancy heavy duty weed whacker -- I should get some photos of the thing: it's awesome. With a grass blade and a gas engine, a pair of handlebars and a harness, and eye protection, it just chews through the grass and weeds and inch-thick bushes. :-) We're clearing a bunch of the land behind the house, so that we can get to the outbuildings, and have a bit more cleared space. It's looking nice.

Lots of stuff around the house: Lisa's mostly talked about this already. We're still learning how to attach things to plaster walls. Toggle bolts seem to work ok, but have their own issues. I'm thinking of trying Molly bolts next.

Still getting settled into the new house. But I'll say one thing: when you're sitting outside in the backyard on a nice night, with the breeze and the trees and the yard, looking out at the mountains in the distance across the fields, it sure is nice...

* * *

Also, on a geeky tech note, I made a few minor updates to the blog.

A link to Lisa's photos now appears on the left hand side of the page, in addition to the Four Horse Haven picture archive. I removed the script that cycles through the pictures: it didn't work well with multiple photo sites, was too slow, and was poorly written. Maybe one day I'll try to find one or write one that works better.

I also figured out how to make myself an administrator of the blog! Yay! :-) I had to do convoluted stuff before to update anything.

1 comment:

TRAFN8R said...

Shawn,
It is sooo nice to hear from you!!
Isn't it grand when work is actually something you enjoy doing?????
Eating throughout the day is a GOOD THING!! Are you packing your own lunch or eating whatever is there???

Shawn, I COMPLETELY understand your enjoyment of the weed whacker!! I borrowed the neighbour's bush hog, and I was out there every day like a maniac!! I really enjoyed it.(Except for frogs and things)

I have no idea what you are talking about in relation to administoring the Blog, but whatever makes you happy :)
Isn't having your own property just the cat's ass???????????????????
Jayne