Thursday, November 1, 2007

Goat "Tails" -- Part Deux ('cause we're close to Queeeebec, doncha know?!)

So Tuesday, I didn't bother taking goat temps... they seemed about the same and I just never got around to it.

Yesterday, I was out with them and there was still an occasional cough, so I though I better take their temps again. Back up for a minute... we finally put new holes in their new nylon collars (had to burn them in) Tuesday night so I could stop just tying twine around their necks. The look real spiffy :)

Anyhow, so I put Ernie's (the bad goat) collar on and do him first. He struggled a bit less than the first time, but was still not real pleased, but the digital thermometer beeped after a while and his temp was normal. While taking Ernie's temp, Bert (the good goat) hangs around, but doesn't really interfere, just kinda hangs out and watches.

Then its Bert's (the good goat) turn. I put his collar on, get him up against the shelter... one hand holds the leash and his tail up so he doesn't clamp it down, the other hand holds the thermometer. He's not thrilled, but being the good goat, he stands very patiently. Of course, while we're waiting for the beep beep beep, Ernie the BAD goat is poking around, biting at me and generally being a pain... so I have both hands full and can't push him away... so I stand on one foot and kinda kick in his direction. He mostly stands back far enough to not get hit.

At some point, I have to stand on both feet again and as soon as I stop kicking in his direction is moves in closer... this goes on for a while... I stand on one foot and kick... then I have to stop. During one of the stops, Ernie zips in close, grabs the end of the digital thermometer sticking out of Bert's butt, pulls it out and flings it 2 - 3 feet and it lands in the water bucket!!

I'm yelling at Ernie, Bert is a little freaked out about the yelling and the fact that something was very quickly removed from his butt and starts to jump about... I let him go.. .swear at Ernie and then retrieve the thermometer from the bucket and shake as much water out of it as possible. Of course, it hadn't beep beep beeped yet... so poor Bert has to endure the process yet again!! He's a little less tolerant the 2nd time around... can't blame him. This time I position myself so I can stand on one foot the whole time and kick in Ernie's direction... we get the beep beep beep... and all is normal.

Friggen bad goat... pulling stuff outta his brother's butt!! The little brat!! What will be next? Will he start throwing wet washcloths in his brother's face??!?! ;)

Always an adventure around here. So the goats are still healthy enough.... brats.

--------------------------------------
I just have to say how proud I am of the goat babies though, their collar training is coming along nicely and I've been able to take them out of the nursery enclosure the last few days and take them on walks around the property to eat stuff. They love doing this and are getting braver. The raspberry bushes are a favourite snacking place.

They don't really yield to pressure very well and its mostly them going where they want and me trying to keep them out of trouble... but I'm pleased with their progress... it really helps that they are under 50lbs and are easily dragged if they change their minds about going somewhere... not like 400+ lb calves... calves have a real weight advantage during halter breaking.

Maybe this weekend when Shawn is around during daylight, I'll get him to take a few pics of the boys walking around on leashes... they are dorky looking :)

1 comment:

TRAFN8R said...

Well, you certainly have a fun time with those little buggers!! Having one's temperature rectally can't be fun at the best of times, but your brother pulling the thermon=menter out with his teeth????? Now that's a piss off!!

Internet Explorer allows everything to run smoothly, as far as pictures and such, whereas Mozilla Firefox is a PITA.

Jayne