Friday, November 2, 2007

Third Time's the Charm??

Well we'll see. I went BACK to the doctor today... I was still feeling crummy and a little worse than I had... my left ear was pounding and throbbing... my throat hurt so bad I couldn't drink or eat anything without wanting to cry.

It was a different doc this aft at the clinic... and he looked in my ear (hurt so much for him to look at, it brought tears to my eyes!!) and said that my ear drum looked like it was about to burst from infection. He looked at my throat and said, "It might be strep, but we wont swab it, it'll hurt you too much, we'll just treat it".

So he prescribed me more antibiotics.. for 10 days... (one dose per day) and already tonight, after one dose, I feel much better. My ear is still sore, but bearable... my throat hurts, but I ate dinner. He also told me to stop using the inhalers and just let the infection get cleared up with the drugs. He said I could use the ventilin if I needed, but stop the other two right away.

I think I'm back on track now... I think the original antibiotics were working, but it just wasn't a big enough dose or for long enough. It was one pill a day for 5 days and by the 5th day I was just starting to feel better... then felt worse after they were gone.

Shawn isn't 100% healthy either... but isn't awful... I'm thinking he might have had the same problem.. just never quite kicked it.

We did end up getting flu shots last night... neither of us felt too bad. In hindsight, it probably didn't help anything, but we're young and basically healthy, we'll be ok.

We attended the flu shot clinic in Carp, at the fairgrounds... they had a great setup... I asked one of the shot givers how many people they were expecting during the 3 hour clinic and apparently last year, they put through 1100 people in 3 hours and expected about the same or slightly more!!

When we arrived we were in a longish line... I figured it would be about 45 minutes until our turn... but in reality it took about 5 - 7 minutes to get through the line!! They had lots of shot givers and many really organized volunteers steering people through. It was amazing... some Kitchener clinics could really learn something from them!!

They also offered a "health fair" at this clinic, so afterwards, when you had to wait 15 minutes, you had something to do. We went to the booth where they were doing blood glucose testing... I had mine tested and it was very good... yay :) They also had a booth for blood pressure monitoring, a dentistry booth, a chiropractic display... that sort of thing. Interesting enough when you have 15 minutes to kill.

While we were hanging around, we noticed some signs posted for a pasta church supper at the Anglican church next door. I asked Shawn if he wanted to go and of course he said yes. So we headed there next and paid $7 each for a spaghetti dinner, with garlic bread, juice and cake for dessert. There was also coffee and tea. It was remarkably good and kinda fun.

We didn't stay long or socialize or anything... then we headed home to feed dogs and goats.

It wasn't our traditional "go to the flu clinic and then dinner with my parents" (which I was kinda bummed about missing out on earlier in the day) but it was ok and fun enough. Its strange the things you miss... like who would miss having flu shots and dinner with your parents? That's weird... but it was a "thing" we did... for a bunch of years... and I know I enjoyed it... but then again, I'm weird that way. (ok I'm weird in many ways!!)

Anyhow... Jess called tonight to chat... and let me know when she's done school for the semester and stuff like that... so now we'll start to make plans for that. It works out well to find out now, as we need to book the rest of Shawn's vacation days soon and her schedule affects what we want to book off.

After work tonight, Shawn helped me clean up the goat pen and hut... I didn't get to it during the day because I just felt too awful... I did feed them in the morning... and threw them more hay later in the day, but was just too tired and miserable to actually clean up. We put their collars on and took them out and about for a walk... they really enjoy that and get excited when you put their collars on... silly goats.

They munched on the raspberry bushes and ate some grass... and some leaves and other plant matter... I really like taking them out and watching what they eat... its all different than taking a horse out to graze... a horse will generally find the tastiest look patch of grass and them systematically graze it until its gone. Whereas the goats, they nibble here and nibble there and wander this way.. .its interesting the difference between grazers and browsers.

They really like if I let them go in the white building where the hay, straw and grain is stored... I made the mistake of letting them eat a handful of grain in there the other day and now when I take them out, THAT's where they want to go right away. If I don't let them go (and I often don't) Ernie has a bit of a temper tantrum, usually falls to his knees in protest. I keep them moving and they eventually get over it... but every time they SEE the building, they think we should go in there and get some grain... piggies.

Monday should be interesting as its dehorning day... the big trip to the vet clinic. Should be very interesting to get everyone up and fed and then the goats loaded and to the clinic in Pakenham by 730am. From there, I'll take Shawn to work and hopefully he'll be mostly on time... he'll have to bring his work clothes with him and change either in the car or at work, as I'll need his help to move the goats to and from the car, etc.

The clinic called tonight to remind us of the appointment and I asked if there was a specific entrance we should use and she told me to just bring them in the front door... THAT will also be interesting... I'm sure they wont' do bad goat things or make a mess or anything!! I told Shawn that we really should bring the dogs right after the goats, because after the goats, our dogs would likely look well behaved!!! (They are always stupid and nutty at the vet's).

Enough babbling... its bedtime!
Night y'all!

No comments: