Monday, November 19, 2007

The Thing Works!


I tried the Singer out last night, just turning the balance wheel to try to get it to go. I found some manuals online for similar machines.

At first, it wouldn't go at all. The wheel would turn, but the mechanism seemed seized. I fiddled around for a while, wondering if I'd done something wrong. Finally, I got Lisa to help me. :-)

We took the locking screw and balance wheel off the machine to get a better look. We couldn't see much, although a little piece seemed like it was in backwards.

The manual I had had instructions on how to oil the machine, so we tried that, oiling all the points that are recommended (actually, we never did oil the bottom points of the machine, I realize now).

After a bit of oil, the damn thing works -- the mechanism runs as smooth as silk. Wonderful action.

The treadle takes some getting used to -- it's like playing with a yo yo -- you have to get the timing just right. But it works. :-)

If my modern Kenmore works as well as this Singer does in 70 years, I'll eat my hat. :-)

Today sometime I may try threading it up and running some real stitches with it. I'm sure the tension will need adjustment and all that, but that's to be expected.

3 comments:

TRAFN8R said...

Aren't they great? My Mom has my grandmothers tredle machine and it still works beautifully! Once you get that tredle action going you'll want to SEW!!!!
Congratulations on a cool purchase!
Jayne

TRAFN8R said...

Aren't they great? My Mom has my grandmothers tredle machine and it still works beautifully! Once you get that tredle action going you'll want to SEW!!!!
Congratulations on a cool purchase!
Jayne

TRAFN8R said...

Ha, couldn't even think of anything more original for my second comment???? I must have pressed something too many times :)