Friday, November 9, 2007

Goat Coats & New Pics

It's been chilly here... no real snow to speak of YET, but a cold wind. My baby goats decided it was too cold to leave their shelter anymore, even to come out for food... I don't like them in there all the time, as I think fresh air is good for them (but what do I know?).

After doing some internet research, I found out its very common to put blankets on goats... most of the places you can order online are in the states and even with the dollar being worth something, I don't like the border surprises. So I decided that I would take a chance on Greenhawk's dog blankets.

I attempted to measure the goats for blankets and wow, was that ever difficult. Even with collars on, they wiggle and waggle and jump, you'd think I was trying to kill them!!

I decided that they are about the size of a medium dog and went off to greenhawk. I picked up 2 medium dog blankets and then tried them on this morning.

If measuring goats is tricky, blanketing goats is next to impossible... that is, until you get out the box of raisins! ;) Our really "outgoing" goat, Ernie (read, into everything constantly!) took to it ok, he mostly wanted to chew it frantically. Our other more reserved, quiet goat, Bert, was pretty sure I had strapped a predator onto his back. It took almost half a box of raisins to convince him otherwise!

Anyhow, the medium dog coats are *just* big enough for now... we may have to modify or add something to the belly strap at some point soon... there's a big jump in sizing between the medium and the large though, so they need to do some growing before the large will work. The dog coats have no buckles, so if they really want them off, they can probably work the velcro and get them off.

Once they had them on and were no longer freaking out, they came out of the shelter and started to eat the outside hay! Apparently so far, it works. Now I will not be surprised if next time I go out I find them naked and huddled in the shelter again!!

The pics are in the Goat Coat & Dehorning album in FH... enjoy :)

No comments: