Monday, October 29, 2007

Goat Tales

So I went out to clean up the goat pen and hang out with the boys for a while... its beautiful out today, warmer. As usual, I bring in the muck bucket, the muck fork, the garden fork and the rake. We started using the 2nd gate in the pen as with all the rain we've had it was getting churned up a bit by the first.

As soon as I open the gate, the boys are right there and because this gate is on the other side, the way it slopes it automatically opens out, instead of automatically closing. I lose the gate, my hands are full and suddenly, off goes Bert, out into the yard.

I manage to get the gate closed before Ernie gets out, but barely... I actually caught his head in it and that's how I didn't lose him. So Bert is standing out in the yard... Ernie and I are inside... Bert panics and wants back in NOW.

I open the gate and in he jumps... he got a couple raisins for that... Ernie got some too, just because. Whew. Damn quick goats.

This morning, noticed they both have a slight cough, so I thought I would take their temps and see if they were actually sick or not. Well, turns out a rectal thermometer isn't something a goat really likes... or tolerates well.

After a good wrestling match, I got Ernie's temp taken. 102.5 F. It sounds high, so I worry a bit. Then I wrestle Bert and although he's generally the good goat, he's having NO part in this rectal thermometer thing!! More wrestling ensues, I get him up against the goat hut with a piece of baling twine around his neck... my knee in front of his shoulder and one hand to lift his incredibly strong tail and the other to hold the digital thermometer. Again, 102.5 F.

So either they are both sick.. .or both ok. Do I remember to check online to see what normal goat temp is BEFORE I go out? Of course not. So I finish what I'm doing and finally get inside to check and it turns out that's normal! Guess I shouldn't have worried!

I'll keep an eye on them and maybe later when Shawn's home we'll check it again... I know pneumonia and stuff like that can take goats and sheep down fast, but so far so good.

(Lots of reading to catch up on today... I posted twice today and once at the end of yesterday, so scroll down to stay caught up!) :)

2 comments:

TRAFN8R said...

Hey there Type A,

I enjoy your stories, they are always worth listening to! You are brave. I'm not sure I'd tackle goat feet...
All the power to you.
For whatever reason I'm no longer able to see the FHH photo's so I enjoy the small thumbnail but nothing loads.
I'm unable to read any more auction stuff. It took me about three hours to stop bawling and gagging after reading the link on HJ. I just can't keep the visuals at bay, then that leads to speculation and then I'm just done.
How awful to be like this.

When you are ready, be sure you talk to me about horses please. Seriously.
Jaynepearls

K¥£€ said...

Heyy Lisa,

Sounda like you had fun with the boys! Cant wait to meet them!

And for the record, I dont think you would have too much luck with most any guy with the rectal thermometer. Well, maybe some, but I wouldnt go near them.

Well, take care!

Kyle