Saturday, October 27, 2007

Finally! The Fencing Has Begun!

In spite of the crappy weather today... (on and off rain and just general dreariness, but not freezing cold, luckily!) we started putting up fences.

We got the short length done on the north - ish side of the house between the house and the existing fence line. Its about 60 feet long. It's only to contain the dogs and keep them off the road... we're starting with that so we can get the hang of putting up the fence. Its not perfect and we're not using a fence stretcher since we're only using t bars, but so far it looks good. That length is done.

We also started putting in t bars along the back, behind the septic up to the existing fence next to the vacant lot... that's also only for dogs and we got all the t bars in for that, other than the corner one, which we still have to finalize how we're going to make it work. (We have ideas, we just don't know if they'll work well until we start actually doing it!)

We also got the goat hut cleaned out and dumped back in the manure pile / compost area so they are good to go again for another week. (I clean out what I can daily and fluff the straw so all the poops I can't get (raisin poops) fall to the bottom and then it gets cleaned out right to the ground and raked once a week.

I'm using about a bale of straw a week... and I could use less... but I don't want them to get damp from underneath or anything so its pretty deep. I finally finished the first bale of hay, it lasted a week and a half... that should change as they grow.

We also gave them their dose of oral dewormer that will kill tapeworms today... they get that once a month for 4 months. Poor Bert wore some of his dewormer because he flicked the end of the syringe with his tongue and sent some flying. I think he got most of it though. Surprisingly, Ernie wasn't too bad to do... I'm sure he'll have some plan in place by next month!

We're tired for the day.. mostly Shawn... he did all the post pounding... I tried once... but apparently that motion hurts my shoulder / collarbone, so I stopped. I'm not feeling any sicker than yesterday, but still not 100%... maybe I'll recover on my own yet? Hard to say.

I'm hoping to get better right away though... on November 1st there's a flu shot clinic in Carp that I would like to take advantage of. So I'm hoping we'll both be healthy enough to get that done.

Most of the leaves are now gone, after today's rain and wind. Its definitely starting to look like winter trees around here... kinda freaks me out!!

Anyhow, enough for now, its 5pm and I'm gonna go bbq some meat for dinner... I have both steak and lamb chops... haven't decided which yet!

No comments: