Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More Busy

The last 2 days, we've been busy around here. Moving stuff from room to room... unpacking, that sort of thing.

In no particular order, here are some of the things I remember...

-- Changed Jess's room all around... now her dresser is in the dormer area and the window is accessible, as well as the weird tiny closet... her white tables didn't fit into the new set up, but she has her desk and another wooden desk, so almost the same amount of table space. The head of her bed now is against the bathroom wall and the side against the other window. One table is in the funny space between the closets and the other is along the wall just as you come in the door. It works much better now and makes way more sense. Plus, if we ever had a cool breeze, she could likely get it with having both windows open. With the new configuration, we also set up her bed frame... now she has a bit of under bed storage and *I* gained a bunch of storage in the nursery not having all the bed frame pieces in there.. .win win win :)

-- Scrubbed the linen closet and unpacked linens... all the ones we use often were already out of course, but now all the lesser linens are accessible too!

-- Finished plumbing the sink in the downstairs bathroom / laundry room... we did the drain work last night... then hooked up the water supply lines tonight... we didn't want any water to go in the drain until the abs cement had cured, hence the delay.

-- The mudroom has been undergoing almost daily changes and is starting to really come along now... there's space and everything now. Still some more changes to happen there, though.

-- Today I tidied up the "nursery" room... still no plants or babies... dunno why its the nursery ;) The big monitor got moved out of there and into our bedroom to be set up at the desk... my big black tack box got moved up there, it'll get loaded when my tack comes home from the storage unit. Some of the boxes in there also got unpacked, some consolidated... the Christmas tree got moved from the living room up to this room.. nice to have it gone from the living room!!

-- A few boxes went down to the basement and put on the shelves we put down there on the weekend... more will follow.

-- I even hung a picture on the wall today.... it was a picture that was in a box with dresser mirrors and was the only thing left in the box... by hanging it up next to the front door, I covered the nasty ugly picture hook that was there AND emptied a box... yay :)

-- The other closet upstairs got reorganized a bit and piled up with more stuff.

-- Some stuff that was upstairs was brought back down to the living room where it belongs.

-- I found a box with my mats in it... now there's a mat in the bathroom/laundry room... one in the upstairs bathroom... and one at the kitchen sink... though the kitchen sink one is kinda slippy, so I may need to add a no slip pad or find a rubber backed mat for there or something.

-- We also did a big grocery shopping today... bought pop and water at blahblahs (Loblaws) and then groceries at Sobeys. Brought another beef tenderloin... it was still $9.99 per lb... it was $83! I'll cut that whole tenderloin into steaks tomorrow and freeze them. If you're coming to visit, lemme know and I'll pull a few out before you arrive! :)

Yesterday, after our big excursion into town, Jess and I were on the way home and saw a truck that said "Dan's Tree Service" on it. I was ahead of it so we pulled into the gas station and let it pass, while Jess wrote down their number. We have a tree in the side yard that isn't so good... it split some time ago and now there's even mushrooms growing on it! I've been trying to get someone out to give me an estimate on it... and have yet to succeed in getting them here. So when we got home yesterday, I called him and left all the info in a voicemail... then this morning, while I took Shawn to work, he called and left me voicemail saying that he's really busy and bear with him, he'll try to get to me later this week... to give me an estimate.

So great, no problem, at least sounds like he'll come here. Then about 3 hours later, his truck pulled into the driveway! I went out and showed him what I wanted done... he looked around and figured out a way to get his truck over to that side of the house without driving over the septic (yay!!) and gave me an estimate. Now, if I was at my parents house, it would be time to "play the game" and guess how much it'll cost... that game doesn't work near as well via a blog, lemme tell ya ;)

Anyhow, for $800 the guy will take down that big ugly rotting tree... remove some large branches off another tree, remove all the branches and leaves and cut the wood into 16 inch pieces, but not take the wood. For another $100, he'll dispose of the wood too! Tomorrow I will call him back and say YES YES YES, please make it happen. He said they are booking a couple weeks in advance right now, but that's fine... I just want it done by winter. Seems like a heck of a good deal to me!
-- LW

No comments: