Saturday, September 13, 2008

Super Busy Day Here...

Our day started by having to finish up some details on the hay storage shed before our hay guy arrived with 50 bales. (I didn't know he was coming today until late last night.) We added the extra piece of OSB to the floor we wanted to, then dragged over 4 rubber mats and hosed them off and installed them. 4 mats doesn't cover the whole floor, but it covers the back half.

Then we quick ran inside and I made Egg McMuffins (are they still "Mc" if I make them?) and we inhaled those quickly. Then our hay guy showed up with 50 bales of hay... some of it this year's and some of it from 2 years ago... he's brought me some of it from 2 years ago before and its still lovely hay and the goats think its yummy.

We unloaded his truck onto 5 of our plastic skids, since the mats in the hay shed were still drying off. Plus he can't really get his truck too close to that building yet, between the stone dust pile and the ruts. Eventually we'll have someone in to clear away the grass and dig it down a bit and then put gravel down and make an extension to the driveway. I'd love if it happened this year, but I'm also pretty sure it won't. The stone dust pile does need to get moved though, I'm hoping to convince our snow removal guy to plow back there this year, even though its not a proper driveway. We'll see.

After our hay guy left, we moved all the hay to the building, using the lawn tractor and cart. That works pretty darn good! The shed is only about half full, I could put 100 bales in there if I wanted or needed to. 50 bales should be almost a year's worth, I would like another 25-30 bales though since my guys are bigger this year and will likely eat more this winter than last. We'll see if I can get it easily or not.

After the hay was put up and we admired our shed's usefulness, we then set to work putting up the roof sheeting on the goat shed.

4 of 6 sheets went up fairly easily (getting 3/4" OSB up 7 feet is no easy task!) and could be mostly fastened from the ladder. The last two sheets had to be positioned and fastened by someone ON the roof... ME. That went ok, its not THAT steep and we did screw a board to the edge to slow me down should I slip, which I did not :)

We were all done by 5pm and then we came in and I made shake and bake chicken legs and poo-tatoes with onion and celery in the oven... had a shower while it baked and then ate supper on the couch while watching Stargate Atlantis.

All good.

I've updated the goat shed album on FHH and I put up a couple pics of the hay in the hay shed.

Tomorrow we'll likely calculate and buy the siding for the goat shed... depending on the weather, we may even start putting it up. Our roofing steel doesn't come until Tuesday, so we're stalled on the roof for now... but still lots to do.

That's it for tonight.
-- L

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Guys Those sheds look GREAT!!!
You did a good job on both of them.
You and the goats should really appreciate their convenience and functional qualities, especially in the winter.Thanks for the blogs and the pictures....we really enjoy being able to catch up on the news at your place.Take care and we will talk later. Love from Mom and Dad