Sunday, October 26, 2008

Goat Shed Doors Are Up!

We got both doors hung this weekend. I posted pics to the FHH "goat shed" album. One door was very easy and straightforward, the other needed to be adjusted slightly using the dremel tool. They both work fine, open and close... now they just need some hardware on them. We did put a hook and eye on each door just too keep the wind from ramming on the doors and either breaking the doors themselves or the hinges.

I got a bit more hardware cloth up, I just have one more large fiddly piece to put up... possibly tomorrow, I'll see what I feel like doing and if the weather will cooperate.

I lied when I said all the painting is done.... there's a bit more to do... we added some 1x2 to the inside of the door frame to act as door stop and then the few places we had to modify the door needs touch ups too. Nothing too much, but not officially done!!

We still have to find gates for both ends... the gates will cover the doorways and swing inside (the doors swing out) and keep the goats off the doors and will hopefully allow us to come and go and not let the goats escape easily.

So we're not quite done yet, but we're getting closer... at this point if we had to, we could move the goats in... but I'd really rather wait until we have the gates up... the door hardware on...the hardware cloth up... the final grading done outside... we're going to put a couple skids with rubber mats on just outside their door to help reduce the mud and give them a dry place to lay outside when needed. An eye hook for the water bucket needs to be hung... a hay feeder installed ... 2 tie rings where I could tie them inside to trim their feet or give shots... mineral and baking soda feeders need to be hung... all that "interior decorating" type stuff :)

I made a pot of soup earlier which we ate for supper... it was turkey with veggies plus we had a leftover prime rib bone from a roast I cooked the other night so I tossed that in and then pulled the meat off at serving time. It was definitely a soup kind of day... quite windy today and not really warm, but we didn't get any rain til after 5pm tonight, so a much nicer day than Saturday where we had heavy rain all afternoon and evening.

Not much else new around here... hanging doors took enough time that we didn't have time left for much else! :)

-- L

No comments: