Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Short Rant... if there IS such a thing!

Today I stopped at a nearby farm that sells strawberries and raspberries and other seasonal produce. (The one with the semi rude name just down and around the corner from us... I won't publish their name here.)

For a couple days, they've had their "corn" sign out. While I was there, buying a QUART of raspberries for $12.75!!!! I thought, what the heck, I'll buy half a dozen of corn for supper. I mean, I've heard my parents have had some decent early corn, maybe I could be so lucky.

There was another guy buying corn while I was there... he was bagging 4 dozen, so I ask him "have you tried their corn yet this year?" He replies "yes we had some yesterday and it was the best corn I've ever eaten"... Then I'm really hopeful that it was be at least decent.

They charge $6.50 a friggen dozen, but $3.50 for 6. Not too expensive if you just want a couple. So we come home and I start making dinner... I also bought a quart of new potatoes while I was there and put them on to boil. I husk the corn and its bi coloured, which is fine, but I notice it lacks the sweet smell that Herrle's corn has when you husk it.

I cook it in boiling water as usual and serve it up... I cut Jess's off the cob for her, that's how she likes it. Shawn eats his and says "Its ok"... Jess tastes hers and says "Its alright"... I taste mine and almost THROW UP! It was THE.NASTIEST.CORN.EVER. I managed to swallow the bite, but barely.

Shawn says his isn't so bad, so I reach over and take his cob and take a bite... BLECH! NASTY. So nobody ate anymore and it all went to the manure pile tonight... husks, cobs and everything. It didn't even taste like CORN, nevermind have any sweetness to it. FROZEN corn you buy at the store tastes like candy compared to this!!

To top it off, the new potatoes were ok... but only ok... they lacked the good flavour and sweetness of the new potatoes my parents brought a couple weeks ago.

Their raspberries were good and I only had to throw away one berry... but for almost $13, I expect them to be that good.

Anyhow, so I was really disappointed and WILL NOT BUY MORE CORN FROM THEM. I may try some more local corn, but we'll see. Its hardly worth adding the humidity to the air while cooking crappy corn.

Like what kind of hell place do I live where the fresh produce tastes like NASTY?!
*sigh* Just another reason to miss southern ontario.

2 comments:

cowpatty said...

uhoh... no good corn, eh? maybe it was cattle corn?..... that is too bad. I will think of you when we are eating sweet, delicious, juicy sweet corn, dripping with butter..... hehe..... yes, I am evil....

holy expensive raspberries batman!!! I might have had some sort of heart attack trying to buy that..... holy crap!!

maybe Herrle's can fed-ex you some corn..... would have to be same day service.... or you will have to grow your own... you have like 6 acres. maybe you can show them how to grow SWEET corn up there, and sell it to them for like 7 bucks a dozen.... :) or more, if that stuff was supposedly worth 6.50.... :)

TRAFN8R said...

Oh Lisa, that is soooooooo awful but so funny. I NEVER buy corn because I ALWAYS pick the crappiest corn in the universe. I LOVE corn, but always trust someone else to get it.

The guy who said it was the best corn he ever ate, would die of sugar shock if he sunk his teeth into some good ol' peaches and cream eh????

Doesn't that peeve you off about the potatoes?????? Just because they're small and round doesn't make them 'new potatoes'.
You'll just have to come down here during corn season!!

Hows things otherwise :)
Jayne