Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oliver's Weight & First Puppy Class

Oliver is up to 35lbs exactly this week! Just over 4 lbs since last weekend! Better him than me :)

Today was our first puppy class that the pups attend. It went exactly as expected. Ollie is awesome at the exercises and sitting and all that.... and he sucks at the socialization part. He was pretty overwhelmed by the all the people and dogs... did ok with the adults... was scared by the other dogs during playtime. Saw a kid sitting in the corner and barked at her... he has zero experience with small humans.

I think this week Ollie and I are going to search for some kids to look at. That sounds much worse than it is!!! We'll start by sitting in the car somewhere and watch the kids and I'll give him treats when he's good about it. Then from there we'll try walking near kids and give treats... we'll see how it goes. Sounds like a super fun time to me... NOT! *eye roll*

Anyhow, it went fine and we all survived... no one got bit... no one got peed on. Success ;)

2 comments:

cowpatty said...

oh great, so now you and Ollie are stalking children.... THAT will end up in the paper, I'm sure.... :)

I could lend you small humans to interact with.... no, wait, I only have one small human left, but I could lend you him.... we will overnight him with some herrle's corn.... :)

TRAFN8R said...

Hey there!

First class over and done with. Socialization is the main reason you are going!!!!! Remain calm and hopeful :) There must be some little parks in town that you could stalk. I think the treat idea in the car is good, maybe a little t-shirt that says puppy in training, then sneak the little kids a treat and tell them how to approach Ollie. I can tell you really are excited about doing this. Don't try and hide it :)
It's well woth it. You know what, even the vet's office would be an ok place. The parking lot even. You could stand outside a liquor/dollar store with an open guitar case and Ollie on a lead.(OK, I'll stop before you come down to hurt me)
How's your Mom????
Jayne