Saturday, April 12, 2008

Yummy Dinner... No Incidents! Yay :)

Tonight we managed to successfully go out and have our fancy dinner WITHOUT incident. No flat tires or anything :)

Of course, the night isn't over and I really should be careful not to jinx ourselves!

It was very tasty and we enjoyed it.... we started out with Young Organic Salad Greens... tender baby lettuces with house vinaigrette, red pear, goat cheese and crispy shallots. They also brought us a complimentary thing from the kitchen... tuna tar tar with avocado on a cracker, or something like that. It was tasty... I ate it even though I don't eat seafood anymore and I've survived to tell the tale ;)

We then had the Beef tenderloin, served with Oxtail Potato Gallette, Broccoli Rabe, Roasted Onion Purée and Bordelaise Sauce. The steak was delicious, they apparently age it themselves for 35 days. The oxtail potato thingy was ok, a little weird... I asked the server about it after we ate it and he said its not really ox, but just beef... not really sure how those are different anyhow... but it was kinda stringy, like the meat you get on a pig tail or turkey neck. But we ate it and enjoyed it well enough.

For dessert we had Crème Fraîche Brulée, Fig Compote, Micha Goat Cheese Crostini, Bruléed Fig. The whole fig addition almost made me not want to order it, but I love creme brulee generally, so I ordered it anyhow. It wasn't dried figs, but fresh figs, so it was a big relief... dried figs just look nasty! Anyhow that was delicious and we enjoyed it. Needless to say, Shawn ordered the exact same as I did, which makes posting about it faster :)

At the end of the meal, they brought us another tasty tiny num num from the kitchen for dessert, a vanilla brownie and the tiniest chocolate cookie I ever saw! It was about the size of a dime. The vanilla brownie was excellent, chewy and delicious, slightly larger than a postage stamp.

It was one of "those places" where you get frou frou food in teeny portions... but we enjoyed it and had fun. Not really the sort of place to take my parents or Jessica, but the sort of place if you had frou frou friends you could go out and celebrate birthdays or something... whatever people do when they have friends, frou frou or otherwise :)

I ended up wearing my "bad luck" clothes tonight... the nice very dark wash jeans I had bought to go to a coworkers dinner party when Shawn decided to shove a rusty nail into his skull... and I wore the black velvet top I bought to go to the formal soiree with Shawn's work that we missed due to a family emergency. Apparently if you pair two pieces of bad luck clothing together, they bring good luck... who knew? :)

I did enjoy wearing my black velvet top though... it fits nice and is comfortable and looks ok. I didn't feel the need to pick at it the whole time I was wearing it like I often do when I wear clothes other than jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt, so that was a bonus.

Anyhow, I think that's it for now.
--L

1 comment:

~Simon~ said...

the food all sounds soooo good!