Friday, March 13, 2009

Another Friday The 13th

It's been one month since we lost Buddy. So far, and I almost fear saying this, March's Friday the 13th has been much better than February's Friday the 13th.

This week we acquired a new puppy, Abigail. I posted some pics in the FHH album of her, Pixie and Oliver. She literally showed up at our door step and her owners asked us to take her in. I told them I would take her, but I couldn't guarantee I'd keep her, but I'd make sure she'd find a good home if I didn't keep her.

Oliver really likes her and treats her like his own personal toy. Mostly the whole time they are together, they are go, go, go... .run, wrestle, chase, bite and all that. Being as there is only 6 months difference in their ages, there's much fun to be had... Ollie is a BIG fan of fun :)

Pixie tolerates her... she's not afraid of her like she was when we got Ollie, but she's also about 5 months old, so she's mostly a dog already and doesn't have that toddling puppy thing going on that Oliver had.

Abby is said to be a lab x shep... we were told her mother was a yellow lab and her father was a shep x of some sort... another one of those secret, unplanned rendez-vous that dogs are famous for! She was born October 15, 2008 and when we went to the vet this week was 42 lbs. She's short, but chunky... you really notice the chunkiness if you pick her up and carry her anywhere, especially if it involves stairs.

Abby seems to be a bit spoiled and seems not to have had any discipline in her life... while she can sleep through the night without having to go out, she sometimes wakes up and cries a bit... her old owner told me that when she used to do that, the owner would go and get her from her crate and cuddle her for a while. Needless to say THAT has stopped and she's now relearning that if you cry at night, you get taken outside to do your business and immediately returned to your crate. Apparently that's not all that much fun ;)

She also seems to have a few issues with protecting her food, even from people. We started working on that immediately this week and she seems a bit better... she lost the right to just get served her food in a bowl... now she gets a bowl with a tiny bit of food and then I add a small bit at a time. She now accepts my hands near her bowl without problem, as I'm always adding more food to it. I can lift her head out of the bowl and pick up the bowl while there's food in it without any snapping or growling... I make her sit patiently and then she gets it back.

Abby also doesn't know her name, but then again, we changed it on her, so that will take some time to learn... she didn't seem to know her old name though, anyhow. If motivated, she can sit, shake a paw and lay down... but pay any attention to you when you call her... No Way! We'll work on that also. I'm trying not to throw too much at her all at once... after all, she had a kinda crappy week, suddenly leaving her old home and coming here, getting to know new people, new dogs, a new house... a new name... everything.

I'm also not sure if its all the change or because she's fairly young... but she seems to not have much personality yet at this point. She reminds me a bit of our sheep... the sitting and blinking with a blank stare and stuff like that. Hopefully that will change.

The lab blood in her seems to be stronger than anything else... she's very similar to Pixie in many ways... the way she runs, the way she sits, the way she eats and the blank staring! ;) Of course, I'm used to Oliver, who is Mr.Personality Plus... really, he might have enough personality for both of them!

Its probably not fair to say she lacks personality... I don't really know her yet and she's getting used to all the changes and I don't feel like I've bonded to her yet in any way. That combined with the fact that I was not really ready to have a 3rd dog again so soon after we lost Buddy... we'll see how it goes.

Adding her into our house has really highlighted what a good dog Oliver is! Abby thinks nothing of putting her front paws on the counters and if there's anything in reach, grabbing it and running off. I swore I'd never have another lab after Pixie and yet somehow, one showed up on the doorstep. I really should have the "Sucker" tattoo removed from my forehead. Abby seems to be a strong willed, scrappy little girl though... which I suppose is good when it comes to playing with Oliver.

Oliver has changed this week with Abby joining our household. He acts a lot more like Buddy did... being the man dog of the house and keeping an eye on everyone... quite the little busy body. So far, I think he will end up being the dominant dog... Pixie has no inclination that way and Abby is kinda young.

All the dogs are really tired this week from all the playing... it means they are either sleeping or going full steam ahead... there doesn't seem to be much in between... I'm sure that will mellow out with time.

I just want to make it clear that Abby is not a replacement for Buddy, there's just no chance of that and never will be. Oliver on the other hand, is doing his best to try to fill up that Buddy shaped empty spot in my heart. He won't replace him either, but he does help reduce the sting. That's something.

Anyhow... enough about dogs.... we had a bunch of snow and ice melt... we still have quite a bit to go though... I'm looking forward to it all being gone!

The sheep and goats are doing well and I think are looking forward to there being some green grass at some point... the sooner the better as far as they are concerned. They are enjoying the hay that I got brought in... its the good stuff and only the biggest, toughest stalks don't get eaten and then I just use it for bedding. (How comfy sounding! ha)

I can't think of anything else new or interesting, so I think that's it for now. Don't forget to check out the pics in the FHH album.
--L

1 comment:

TRAFN8R said...

So, You've opened your heart to another critter!! That is great!! Of course you aren't replacing Buddy, can't be done. However, Abby is a whole new ballgame, who, along with Oliver just might make you laugh every once in a while. That's good therapy.

Sorry about all the shit shovelling. I have to start on the many splendoured piles at my place. Don't even think about it, the mind boggles.
Jayne