Saturday, March 21, 2009

Abby Finds A New Home

Earlier this week, Shawn and I made the decision to put Abby up for adoption and started advertising. Don't get me wrong, she's a good dog and had come a long way in just under 2 weeks. All her food guarding issues resolved quickly (though I did fully disclose that to her new owners) and she had come a long way in learning her name and we began working on her recall.

But, it was very soon after losing Buddy to add a new dog to the household and having 2 pups and an older dog is way more work than having 2 older dogs and a pup! I wasn't ready to commit to that kind of work for a dog that just sort of showed up here. Plus... she's a lab... her whole personality, the way she runs, eats, learns... its all so "labby".

I know many people LOVE labs... but they really aren't my favourite type of dog... we already have one lab, Pixie, to whom we've made a life long committment to and that's fine... but I decided YEARS ago, there would be no more labs in my life. Then Abby showed up and thinking about committing another 10-15 years of my life to a type of dog I really don't like... just seemed overwhelming.

So we advertised her... we got a few responses, but no one was actually interested enough to come and see her. Then I got an email saying a friend's sister was very interested and was given contact info. We made contact via email and on the phone and I did my best to ask all the appropriate questions and they asked everything they could think of about Abby.

Given that these people were recommended to me by one of HJ's members who has done much good for both horses and dogs in need in the past, I felt reasonably comfortable that they would provide a good home. After talking to them, I was even more sure.

So today, they drove from Guelph to Ottawa to pick her up!! They have two kids, 8 & 10, so not really little. When they first arrived (I had my 2 whacko mutts locked in their crates upstairs so as not to cause total chaos!) Abby was in her crate in the mudroom. She was initially a bit overwhelmed by the extra people, but we took her out in the yard and let her explore the new people at her own pace.

It wasn't long and she was following the kids around while they held her leash and feeling pretty comfortable with her interactions. They already have her booked for puppy classes starting THIS week, like in 3 - 4 days!!

The adoption agreement was signed, the fee exchanged and all was good... Abby's crate and her tub of stuff was going to get loaded into the back of their mini van and then Abby put in her crate.... then it was discovered that they locked their keys in their van!

Some attempts were made with a coat hanger and various bits of wire... then CAA was called. They said it would take them 90 minutes to arrive! While waiting for CAA more attempts were made ot unlock the doors, but no go. During this time, Abby was taken for several walks around the property with the kids and me.

We made an effort this morning to tire Abby out in hopes she would sleep for the long ride home... by the time we were walking around the property, she was practically a zombie! She kept looking at her crate longingly, in hopes she could soon nap.

During one of the walks around the property to distract both kids and pup, one of the kids had a major run in with a burdock bush and required some help to get unstuck from himself! I bet that kid gives the next burdock bush a WIDE berth! :) Burdock trauma ;)

Anyhow, the local tow truck finally showed up... much sooner than 90 minutes! (They were here a total of 90 minutes) and the tow truck driver got out his fancy tools and in minutes had the doors open! Abby's crate and tub of stuff got loaded and then I lifted her into her crate, told her to be a good girl and that was that.

I don't imagine they will get home to Guelph until 8 or 9pm tonight, depending on how many stops they have to make... what a LONG day for them!

Due to the timing, Shawn and I missed lunch (and we shared a box of kraft dinner for breakfast... gross, I know!), so we went into town (we were in NEED of some groceries!) and picked up some groceries at Farm Boy... we also bought some food to eat in the car... Shawn had veggies and dip and I had a small container of Farm Boy potatoe salad. We gobbled down our snacks and were still hungry, so we stopped at the Shell gas station on the way home and got a couple nasty, yet delicious, gas station hot dogs and gobbled those down too!

Oliver and Pixie seem fine with Abby being gone... they are both exhausted from the 2 weeks of constant playing... neither looked for her or anything like that... they are both sound asleep now... Ollie on the couch and Pixie on the floor. Its so quiet here... not that Abby was that noisy, but her presence made Ollie be busier than normal and often made Pixie bark when Ollie and Abby were playing.

It's almost 6pm and at some point I'll make us some supper... but maybe a late supper since we inhaled a bunch of snacks at 4-430pm! :)

I'm pretty sure Abby went to a good family that will do right by her... and I'm sure she'll turn out to be a wonderful dog, once she settles in there... she's got a good friendly heart and just needs some consistency in her world and someone to teach her how to be a good dog. I hope they enjoy her... they have said they will send me updates, so we'll see.

It sure is hard letting them go, but I know we did the right thing for us and I'm pretty sure it will be the right thing for Abby, also!

Anyhow, now I should head out and feed my goat babies and sheep their supper and bring fresh water. Always someone hungry and / or thirsty around here! :)

-- L

1 comment:

TRAFN8R said...

Way to go Lisa, sounds like everything worked out for the best.
GREAT!!
Jayne